July 17, 2008

Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition

Anything can be art.
When people create, invent, or even grow something, they can call it "Art" as long as it is proprietary, not a whole copy of something that already exists. The more original art is, the more value people seem to give it.
Therefore, I like to see arts. I like to see how artists reach to express their world and why they call their works "art". And of course, simply most of them make me feel rich in spirit. You can also float in your imagination world without somebody lecturing you on how you should analyze them.


Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition 2008 (TOAE) (47th) was held July 11, 12 & 13, 2008 at Nathan Phillips Square. Usually admission fees for art shows are not reasonable for the people who want to just expose themselves to arts and feel that air, like "One of A kind Show" or "Toronto Art Expo", sometimes it sounds like they want only particular kind of people. (Mmm, too much to say?) Anyway this one is FREE!! Anybody can go in, walk around as you like, and take your time as much as you want. Let's feel Art!!

There were so many booths in this exhibition. Some works and exhibitors were familiar to me from local galleries like Distillery District or Queen Street West Area. Some were new.. like THIS!!


"Product of Eden" Mary Catherine Newcomb (Sculptor, Ontario)
Award - Sculpture Honourable Mention


Do you know how to make this??
We asked the artist because we thought she carves the plants (it would be neat if she does). The answer was no. When the plant blossoms out, she covers it with this weirdly shaped mold which I assume that she made. So it becomes the shape of the mold! She harvests them and put them into a jar like making pickles so it lasts longer. How much? At least "$800". Wow...
It reminds me that we have "square watermelon" in Japan. More than just square, recently, they call them "Art Watermelon". I am not sure who started. They are $80-$1050 (according to the page of this link) and somebody in this world buying them!! The final purpose must be eating, but still, this is beyond of imagination.

OK.. Let's look at next one.


Wooden Box/Large Dressers
Paul Szewc (Decorative/Applied Art - Wood, Ontario)

Aren't they sooooo cute!?
First time I encountered his works was at A One of A Kind Show, 2 years ago. As he calls himself "a crazy cabinet maker", his dressers have "unusual" shape and looks like dancing itself - I am sure you will like them if you are big fan of Tim Burton Movies. This artist, Paul Szewc, has a studio "Masterpiece Cabinet" and says he loves building "wonky" furniture. The word "Wonky" - sounds like Wonka-ish - "Willy Wonka" from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", especially the movie of Tim Burton's version (2005). If it is affordable, I would buy it - their price range is $165 to $350 even for a "Mini" one.

Moving onto the next exhibitor.

Chip n Dip group/Issue Boxes(set of 5)
Sally Mccubbin(Decorative/Applied Arts - glass, Ontario)

Very simple, sophisticated, and also cool, pop, and soooo cute!
I would buy them if it is affordable.. but in reality I can't spend $400 to put my dip & chips into this cute bowl.
Also, it is practical, not perfectly though, because you can not split the big bowl and small one apart when you want to wash them.
I used to think that the craft of glass means vases, dishes, or useless objects like a glass swan or Christmas tree ornaments. Well, she makes those too, but most of her work seems to have messages. For example, the concept of "Issue Boxes" is, "the dysfunctions of our social container - Iconic imagery implies issues like gender roles, war, and monoculturism".


I wish I could introduce more and more if I had time. The exhibition itself was finished but you can visit the website of TOAE if you are interested, and check the works of award (more than $35,000!) winners or any other exhibitors.

1 comment:

Don said...

I like what you say about visiting this show and feeling "rich in spirit." It is like going to an art gallery, isn't it? But it's free to get in, and if you want to, you can buy things and take them home. All that's great -- but you have to have some money to do that!

We show up with a baby in a stroller and right away everyone knows we have no money to spend (certainly not on anything delicate!)

I remember that at the Art Gallery of Ontario they have a section in their store where you can go and rent art to hang on your walls at home. I have always thought that if I won the lottery I might do that (I don't know how much it costs, but I'm sure it's not totally cheap!). To have real art on the walls (stuff we like), and then change it from time to time . . .

Maybe watermelons . . .