August 8, 2008

Affogarto - Cafe Demetre -

Affogarto = "drowned"
As the name of this Italian dessert suggests, Affogart is basically the style to have ice cream (usually vanilla) with some liquid; espresso shot, liqueur, coffee, tea, etc.
The most popular liquid for this dessert is espresso shot. This is called "Affogato al Caffe" and this espresso is for pouring onto the ice cream, not for drinking directly (you can if you want). So you can enjoy hot espresso, frozen ice cream, and cold milky coffee taste all at once.

I love this dessert as much as I love the combination of creme brulee and cappuccino, but I had never seen this in Toronto. It is easy to make as you imagine, so I used to make it for myself whenever I bought nice, rich vanilla ice cream, such as Haagen-Dazs.

Two weeks ago, Luke and I watched a movie "Step Brothers" with his friends Derek and April. (It was hilarious movie!! - you will laugh until your muscle hurt) After the movie, we went to a cafe Demetre in Eglinton area for some coffee and chat.
I used to live the neighbor of this Demetre. My friends loved to come here to have various kinds of desserts, and I used to order one like the picture below, because they did not have any smaller. To eat this, I had to skip breakfast or lunch.


BUT this time, I found the Affogato I love!! Good size, rich taste, deep aroma - maybe too much to say.. :-) Anyway, this made my day gorgeous. Luke said that I was smiling the whole time I was eating my lovely Affogato.

If you love the taste of coffee, try this.
It would be able to melt you!!

Demetre (Uptown)
188 Eglinton Ave., East
Toronto, ON M4P 2X7
Tel : 416-485-4610
Open for 14:00 - 23:30
(Fri & Sat 14:00 - 1:30)

2 comments:

Don said...

Pictures of Food! Pictures of Food! I'm hungry!

"Step Brothers" is the Will Ferrell movie, right? I dunno about that guy. I used to think he was an idiot on Saturday Night Live. Of course, that's because I keep thinking back to John Belushi in "Dueling Brandoas" and Michael O'Donahue's 'Mr. Mike's Least-Loved Bedtime Stories.' I guess one of these days I should give him a try.

But which is a better use of money: to see a Will Ferrell movie or get an "Affogato al Caffe"?

Chie said...

If you have cappuccino machine, it is always reasonable to make at home, then you can use your favorite ice cream!
If you don't.. maybe you can try "Affogato al Caffe" and wait for the DVD of the movie coming as a rental.. that might be cheaper.

The movie was very funny, but probably you don't have to watch in the theater. ;-)

BTW, I love Saturday Night Live. The one had Scarlett Johansson as a guest was very good and I laughed a lot.